Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tickling everyone's tongues...

"By persevering over all obstacles and distractions, one may unfailingly arrive at his chosen goal or destination."
- C. Columbus

That is how I am going to approach the new year that is upon us. I just now made that decision based solely upon the above quote. That's how I roll. By haphazardly making big decisions in my life based on trivial little nothings.

Like my degree in Accounting. The one that is so obsolete that it will never (at least in the foreseeable future) be anything resembling useful. I chose that degree, that professional field, based on my insane love of paperwork and my equally insane adoration of mathematics. Before that, I wanted to be a teacher. I guess this methodology seemed more logical (and doable) at the time.

Back on track, now. It seems that people are now shying away from making New Year's resolutions because they feel they are being set up for failure. They are instead making intentions. They intend to lose weight, become a better person, show their love for their dog more. I think it's asinine. An intention is the same as a resolution. They are synonymous words, people. I looked it up!

Intention (Noun):
1. An act of intending; a volition that you intend to carry out
Resolution (Noun):
1. A decision to do something or to behave in a certain manner

If you resolve to do something and you don't, you are a failure. If you intend to do something and you don't, you are still a failure. In no one's eyes but your own, of course. The rest of us could care less as to what you intend or resolve to do this next year.

But, I know you are dying to know what my resolutions are for this next year, right? Well, with the attitude that I will persevere over any and all obstacles, come away from each distraction with a new lesson learned and arrive at my destined goal, I enter into 2009. My goal as of now being to survive yet another year on this planet, hopefully with a little more grace and ease than I have survived the last few.

At least that is my intention.

Hey! I didn't say that I wasn't jumping on the intention over resolution bandwagon. Just that I thought it was an asinine concept. And since asinine is my very favorite word (tied only by shitake because it is so fun to say), I am entitled to be as asinine as I want. Right? No. Well, screw you.

Go make your intentions/resolutions. 2009 is upon us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog layout, it's very warm and friendly!

I used to be of the mindset that I refused to make New Year's Resolutions. This year, I am just sort of resolving to make positive changes for my health, my emotional well-being, and to have more fun than I did this year.

I don't see how I can fail when I'm being so vague and general! ;)