Thursday, November 13, 2008

Tears for my insightful ideas...

Today, I feel as if I am making a difference.  I am teaching girls to be independent, strong women who will grow up and be the leaders of America (i.e. the best corporate business women, the best stay-at-home-moms, and the best of the best of working women).  Why will they be the best?  Because I gave them the foundation, the building blocks, to construct their lives from.  And it's a pretty solid base if I do say so myself. 

Yes, I am pretty confident in myself.  Today.

Why, you ask?

Because someone else saw the potential and wonderment in something that I have put in motion.  I brought someone to tears with my idea.  In fact, she wants to do it, too.  To be in on the enjoyment that one gets from bringing joy to someone else.  And the idea was all mine. 

It's not a new idea, you say?  Oh.  Well, it was still all my idea in how to implement and carry-out this, this...um, curriculum. 

You see, I have 13 girls.  Yep.  13.  And they are all 6-8 years old.  Really, I share them with Miss Quiet.  I kinda stole them, actually.  But that's not the point.  The point is that I love each of them and can't wait to see what kind of success they achieve in their lives because Miss Quiet and I took the time to nurture and guide them in their formative years. 

Today, we are picking up 10 of the 13 girls from school (the other three will meet us) and we are taking a tour of the Post Office.  Why?  As an introduction.  Yep.  We are starting a project that is important to me.  That came from deep in my heart.

What is it, you ask?

Care Packages.  For Soldiers stationed in Iraq.  Yep.  Like my best friend, Josie.  In fact, she is going to help us with this project.  She is going to make sure that this is a full circle learning experience and not just another badge to be earned. 

Today, my girls will learn how the postal system works.  Postage, stamps, APO and FPO addresses.  They will see the machinery.  They will ask their questions and get their answers.  Then, after we have gathered enough information, we will move on to phase two of their learning process.  Geography.  We have to know where our packages are being sent, so we will learn.  We will learn about the climate, the people, the reason for their stay there.  We will map it and calculate how far the packages will go.  Then, of course, we will fill the boxes.  The girls will choose their own treasures to send to these amazing men and women in uniform and we will pack it all in tight with homemade paper snowflakes.  If there is any room left over, Miss Quiet and I will pick up some more things to add in that will undoubtedly bring smiles to the faces of our newfound soldier friends.

I simply can't wait for this project to get under way.

But that isn't the best part!  The girls will get return mail!  My friend, Josie, is going to use the disposable camera that I add in the box to take pictures of the things around her and then will send it back for me to develop.  The girls will get to see some of the sights of Iraq from a Soldier's perspective.  Not just any soldier though.  A Girl Scout Woman of Distinction.  A strong, independent woman who is rising to the top of her game more and more everyday.  The kind of woman that these girls will grow up to be. 

With my help and guidance.  And that of Miss Quiet, too. 

We are proud.  And I don't mind speaking for her.  :)

2 comments:

Major.Sunshine said...

That is a wonderful project! You are just fabulous!! Keep up the great work and keep inspiring young girls.

Lady K said...

What an amazing thing!! I have always been envious of your commitment to your children and how that extends beyond them! Gold star for you!! :)